Thursday, 27 August 2015

Socks!

I want to love sock knitting! I don't dislike it now, but I just don't love it and I really want to.

I have completed two pairs of socks so far. The first pair I ever knit were in chunky weight, fluffy yarn (what was I thinking?!?) and I gifted them to my mother-in-law who thankfully didn't take it as an insult and uses them as winter house socks. 

Pair 1 made with James C. Brett Passion
The second pair I kept for myself. They are knit from DK Alpaca yarn and I use them as year-round, sofa-snuggling, house socks. I suspect that come winter they will become my go-to walking boots socks too.

Pair 2 made with Stylecraft Alpaca DK (getting there!)
Pair number 3 are orange. Bright. Orange. I thought the yarn would knit up into some funky tiger-like stripes. Turns out I'm not that good at reading yarn. The colour is growing on me as time goes on, but time is really going on and these things are not getting any closer to being finished.

Pair 3 - Just keep knitting, just keep knitting...

(It should be noted that I did attempt a different sock pattern in this yarn before attempting pair 3. However, after finishing sock 1 I decided it was so hideous that sock 2 would never exist and sock 1 would be kept as a reminder to never make anything that ugly again!)

The orange Frankein-sock of 2015

Over the coming months I am going to be experimenting with different needles. So far I have tried the following:
ChiaGoo 9" Red circulars (they get a solid 6.5-7/10)
Knit Pro Symfonie 100cm circulars (5/10)
Pony circulars (not fun!)

I am also going to be experimenting with different yarns, including wool free sock yarn as most of my blood relations have an allergy to wool.

I am on a quest; to fall in love with sock knitting. I love hand knitted socks, I love sock yarn, but making them, hmmmm, I think a little more red wine and candle light is needed...

Mrs B x x

No comments:

Post a Comment