Saturday, 22 August 2015

WIPs

When I was in primary school my mum taught me how to knit and purl. And when I was 14 my great-aunt taught me to crochet granny squares. And for years I did nothing much with either...until a couple of years ago.

I was desperate to make a baby hat for a friend who was expecting, and I tried for ages to teach myself magic loop knitting using online tutorials. It was a frustrating mess! In stepped my awesome friend Sarah who is incredibly talented (I'm in love with her home-brewed sock collection!) and she showed me how to knit in the round. It was a revelation and I haven't looked back since!

This past week I have had time off from my regular day job, and I have filled my time with yarn based goodness as well as day trips with the husband. I discovered a new source of yarn, fabric, buttons, and other yummy things (www.eternalmaker.com) with a friend and have started new projects that are stretching my skills.

Here are some of my current WIPs:

Pattern - Evergreen Lake Mitten by Sunne Meyer from her Craftsy class: Stranded Colorwork: Basics and Beyond
This is my first attempt ever at stranded colour work. I think it's going well so far and I like the combination of colours. I'm using Sirdar Click Chunky in Gull Grey and Heather. 

Pattern - Smocked by Jenny Wiebe available on Ravelry
This is a smocked tunic that I am making for my youngest goddaughter for Christmas. Although I got my guage just about bang on, the top is measuring smaller than it should. I'm using James C. Brett Marble DK in Mt4.

Pattern - Granny Square Blanket by Staci Perry of Very Pink Knits
So I've known how to make granny squares for many years, but I have never been able to join them together. I have several large 1m x 1m squares languishing in my craft box. Well, thanks to the lovely Staci Perry of Very Pinks Knits and her wonderful tutorial I have now been able to join squares up! I feel a stash busting blanket in the making...

I have a couple of other things cast on, but I'll save them for a later post. 

Have a wonderful weekend!
Mrs B x x

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world. It such a treat to me able to share with people your craft and the things you love.
    Love those granny squares. Indeed the perfect recipe for a stash busting blanket. Looking forward to watching the
    progress of this new yarny venture!

    ReplyDelete